With school holidays last week, it was lovely to have two little visitors, Sofia and Violeta, drop in to my kitchen, don their special aprons, roll up their sleeves and get cooking.
What was even nicer is that it wasn’t me but my daughter, now 15, that got them cooking her now famous Triple Chocolate Cookie recipe. It seemed like just yesterday that I was teaching her to make them, and now she is passing it on. This is the real joy in what I do!
It is always delightful watching kids discovering the art of cooking. The mystery of how mixing a few ingredients together, shaping them and applying a little heat magically turns them into something scrumptious. That’s what becomes so addictive…how you can create wonderful things in minutes.
There are also many lessons learnt when baking a batch of cookies – the importance of measuring properly, being organised, time management, developing motor skills, the science of chemical reactions and cleaning up as you go. Not to mention, that great cookie dough made with real chocolate tastes REALLY good when you lick your fingers!
We have shared this recipe with many friends…I hope you will too.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 180g butter
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup choc bits
- ½ cup white choc bits
- Vanilla or chocolate ice cream, for serving
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Sift the plain flour, cocoa and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl. Melt the butter and chocolate together in the top of a double saucepan over simmering water or in a microwave on medium for approximately 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix chocolate mixture into flour and add eggs, choc bits and white choc bits and combine well. Refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes.
- Spoon tablespoons of mixture onto baking-paper lined baking trays, allowing room for spreading, and bake at 180°C for 12 minutes or lightly browned underneath.
- Remove onto a wire rack to cool before storing in an airtight container.
- Serving suggestion: Sandwich two cookies together with a big scoop of ice cream and dust with icing sugar. Eat immediately!