You gotta love a lazy Sunday morning and with this cold weather, I am not one to go out for breakfast – I would rather make it at home myself in my pyjamas!
Today we started the day with soft poached eggs perched on sourdough toast and creamy avocado with a dollop of good quality mayonnaise and a crown of crispy prosciutto. So much simpler than making Eggs Benedict – no fussy hollandaise to deal with – but just as special.
I confess that poaching eggs has never been my strong suit – my better half is SO much better at it than me because he is much more patient! However, with a little practice and a few tips, anyone can master this skill.
Top Tips For Poaching Eggs:
- Use a deep saucepan of boiling water and add at least 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Break egg into a small bowl.
- Reduce water to a simmer and swirl before gently lowering the egg into the centre of the whirlpool.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until done to your liking.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper or a spare piece of bread.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 100g sliced prosciutto
- 1 avocado
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread, toasted
- egg mayonnaise, for serving
- Heat the oil in a frypan and fry prosciutto over medium heat until crispy and drain on absorbent paper. Mash avocado and season to taste.
- To poach eggs, working with one egg at a time, break the egg into a small bowl. Bring a small, deep saucepan of water (8-10cm deep) to the boil and add vinegar. Reduce heat to a simmer and swirl using a spoon to create a gentle whirlpool. Gently lower the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and simmer for 2-3 minutes until done to your liking. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper or a spare piece of bread. Repeat with remaining eggs. With practice you can also cook all four eggs at once in a large deep pot.
- To assemble, spread toast with mashed avocado, top with poached eggs, a dollop of mayonnaise and crumble the crispy prosciutto on top. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.